School-age kids going to sleep away camp need to be prepared to take care of their braces, retainers, expanders, night braces and any orthodontic appliances - when parents are not there to supervise. Here’s how to fully enjoy camp while maintaining your treatment for a beautiful smile:
- · Make sure to pack extra wax, floss, and spare toothbrushes
- · Brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss daily
- · Pack mouth guards and wear one when you play contact sports
- · If a wire or a band breaks or becomes loose, don’t panic. Use the back of a spoon or the eraser end of a pencil and gently press the wire back under the archwire.
- · Use wax or a piece of wet cotton to serve as a buffer between the wire and your mouth if the inside of your mouth gets irritated
- · If you wear a retainer, pack extra retainer cases and always put your retainer in the case when you are not wearing it. NEVER put your retainer in a napkin or tissue – that’s how they get thrown into the trash!
- · Just as at home, don’t eat foods that are hard to chew – bagels, licorice, caramel, nuts, hard candy, etc.
- · Call your orthodontist if you have concerns or questions
Summer camp is all about having fun and enjoying a care-free summer. For kids wearing braces, it just takes a little extra planning and preparation! Have a great summer!